Minnesota Hospitality Hall of Fame inductees are considered “legends” of the Minnesota restaurant industry.
2018 Inductees to the Minnesota Hospitality Hall of Fame:
Barbara Hunn Miesen - Keys Cafe & Bakery
Barbara Hunn Miesen of Keys Café and Bakery has always been a hands-on owner...cooking, waitressing, wash dishes, running the register, baking and cleaning the floors. “I feel part of the whole picture - not just an owner of manager, but part of the team” she said.
Prior to getting into the restaurant business, Barbara kept busy raising four children She also worked at a hardware store, hospital and nursing home; cleaned homes, painted signs for a grocery store and cut hair. Her previous experience in the industry was working at Dairy Queen.
Barbara’s friend, Beverly Oien, asked her to partner with her in a new restaurant venture which opened for business in 1973. Beverly hasn’t been involved for a long time, but Barbara caught the restaurant bug and stuck with it. She and her family now run nine locations around the Twin Cities and Hudson, WI, featuring “the food you grew up with.” Barbara continues to work at the original location on Raymond Avenue in St. Paul.
Barbara believes that a person can achieve whatever they work hard enough for. “Without knowing, I created a loving, welcoming family style restaurant...from family to workers to customers,” she said. She has seen the industry change in many ways. “That’s life,” she said. “The only thing I can be sure of is my philosophy has remained the same.”
Watch Barb's video:
Wayne Kostroski - Cuisine Concepts and Franklin Street Bakery
Wayne Kostroski is the co-owner of Cuisine Concepts and Franklin Street Bakery. After touring with a rock and roll band out of Madison, WI, in the ‘70s, Wayne got his start in the industry at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatres. He managed food and beverage during the restoration of the St. James Hotel in Red Wing. He opened Pronto Ristorante and eventually became a partner in Tejas, Goodfellow’s and Tejas Express.
Wayne says he’s been blessed to have built businesses with some of the most wonderful people, including Pete Mihajlov and Phil Roberts, John Dayton, Stephan Pyles and Mark Haugen. “My biggest blessing was the mentors who have taught me,” he said. “My business partner, Mark Haugen, is the one that has taught me the most about being a professional in our field.”
Many people across the country know Wayne as the founder of Taste of the NFL, which has been a mainstay on the eve of the Super Bowl since 1992. The event, which pairs celebrity chefs and football greats serving plates at 35+ food stations, has raised more than $25 million dollars for hunger relief since its inception. Wayne counts among his greatest achievements being able to rally so many to participate in hunger relief efforts.
Wayne was active in the Minnesota Restaurant Association for many years and served as president in 1992.
Watch Wayne's video:
Previous Inductees to the Minnesota Hospitality Hall of Fame:
- Sue Zelickson - Radio Host, Columnist, Philanthropist, Foodie (2017)
- Dino & Vona Adamidis - Dino's Gyros (2016)
- David Cossetta - Cossetta Alimentari (2016)
- John Schumacher - Schumacher's New Prague Hotel (2015)
- Jim Jennings - JJ's, Jennings Liquors, Scoreboard (2015)
- Tom Frederick, Sr. - Happy Chef (2014)
- R. Steven Watson (2014)
- Ken Schelper - Davanni's, Inc. (2013)
- Peg Rasmussen - Peg’s Countryside Café (2012)
- Tony Nicklow - Shorewood/Nicklow’s/Santorini (2011)
- Glenn Gulsivg - McGarvey/Superior Coffee (2010)
- Jimmy Theros - Rudolphs Bar-B-Que (2010)
- Gordy & Kathy Jarvis - Afton House Inn (2009)
- Charles Pappas - Michael’s Restaurant (2008)
- Bob Casper - Casper’s Cherokee Sirloin Room (2007)
- Peter Mihajlov - Parasole Restaurants (2007)
- Louis Tinucci - Tinucci’s (2007)
- Sam Ciresi, Sr. - Q Coffee Shop (2006)
- Bill Naegele - Restaurants No Limit (2006)
- David Fong - David Fong’s (2005)
- Sal Frederick - Happy Chef (2005)
- Bill Kozlak - Jax Café (2005)
- Jack Kozlak - Kozlak’s Royal Oak (2005)
- Henry Kristal - Ember’s America (2005)
- Nick Mancini - Mancini’s Char House (2005)
- Pat Murray - Murray’s Restaurant (2005)
- Reuben Palm - Palm Brothers/Strategic Equipment & Supply Corp. (2005)