2018 Advocacy Priorities
The Minnesota Restaurant Association follows hundreds of bills during each legislative session, as well as related issues at the county and city levels. Listed below are our top advocacy priorities for 2018 with links to view the detailed issue briefs. Questions? Contact Dan McElroy at (651) 925-4011 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Support legislation to establish uniform labor standards, which would preempt the authority of cities or counties to create local minimum wages or other employer mandates that depart from state or federal law. View issue brief.
- Exempt restaurant equipment used to create a taxable product from the sales tax. Ours is the only manufacturing business that pays sales tax on equipment. View issue brief.
- Support a limited driving credential for immigrant workers who are undocumented. View issue brief.
- Urge Congress to take action in support of the Dreamers – extend the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. View issue brief.
- Phase out the statewide business property tax on commercial property. View issue brief.
- Support a state income tax credit for ready-to-eat food donations. View issue brief.
- Support a utility sales tax reduction for restaurants that parallels the reduction for other manufacturers. View issue brief.
- Support recycling programs for foodservice packaging as the most responsible alternative to local bans or mandates. View issue brief.
Legislation the MRA Opposes:
- Restrictive scheduling mandates
- Paid family and medical leave benefits
- Beverage container deposits
- Prohibition on passing payment card fees on tips to employees